Tomato Quiche with Olives
Preparation time: 20 MInutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes (mostly unattended)
Makes: 6 Servings
- 2 oz. chopped onion (~¼ Cup)
- 5 T. olive oil, separated
- 2 lbs. Tomatoes (fresh or canned, though fresh usually tastes better)
- 1 Clove Garlic mashed
- ½ tsp. each dried oregano, basil, thyme
- ½ tsp. sea or kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 T Tomato paste
- 3 T chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 12- 24 Black olives, pitted and sliced in halves
- Grated parmesan
- 2 cups 100% stone ground whole wheat flour
- ½ Cup applesauce
- ¾ stick of butter (6 T)
- 1 T mixed herbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ Cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Peel, seed and juice the tomatoes (squeeze gently) and chop the pulp roughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and stir in the tomatoes, garlic, herbs (oregano, basil, thyme), and seasonings. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Uncover, raise heat and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring or shaking pan occasionally to evaporate the juice almost entirely. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Prepare the crust by mixing everything except the cold water together. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture is uniformly crumbly. Add the water a little at a time, working it into the dough until a smooth, pliable ball is formed. (Add more cold water if necessary).
- Roll the dough to fit the quiche dish and trim or tuck the edges as necessary and prick with a fork. Cover the unbaked crust with foil and bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat 3 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons olive oil, tomato paste, parsley, paprika, and cayenne into the tomato mixture and check seasoning.
- In a separate clean metal or glass bowl beat the eggs whites with an electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold the tomato mixture into the egg whites the spread the tomato mixture into the pastry shell.
- Place the olives decoratively over the top, sprinkle 1 oz. grated parmesan and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Bake in top half of oven for 25 - 30 minutes until golden on top and slightly firm to the touch.